Subject: Re: Managing lots of installed packages, buildlink and versions
To: NetBSD Packages Technical Discussion List <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 05/20/2002 10:33:39
On Sun, 19 May 2002, Frederick Bruckman wrote:

> It's actually been suggested that, rather than fixing the
> dependencies, it be mandated that packages on ftp.netbsd.org only be
> built all-at-once against a release, which seems to come out once a
> year or so. I think that would be unfortunate.

It would be nice if there were two repositories: one for packages that
were "built all-at-once against a release" (and possibly any very
important fixes) and another site for updated or newer packages (current
pkgsrc).

I have found that the CDs with packages that I received from Wasabi work
great, but sometimes a few packages from the ftp site are broken (in
certain combinations).

I have noticed some other ftp locations (for example, bulk builds for
current pkgsrc under 1.5.3 on i386) but I don't know that they are
officially announced or officially usable.

   Jeremy C. Reed
   http://bsd.reedmedia.net/