Subject: Re: compiler-related problems building lang/python2.2
To: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 05/09/2002 03:32:23
[ On Wednesday, May 8, 2002 at 18:24:14 (-0500), Frederick Bruckman wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: compiler-related problems building lang/python2.2
>
> On Wed, 8 May 2002, Greg A. Woods wrote:
> >
> > <SOAPBOX>
> > Sometimes it really sucks when a build system uses environment variables
> > for things other than where they're normally used (eg. $PATH is OK,
> > other random junk like $OPT is not).  Make has its own "variables" --
> > why do we have to continually confuse them with environment variables?!?!?!
> > It's even worse when the "./configure" succeeds, but the 'make' fails.
> > </SOAPBOX>
>
> But note that "pkgsrc" already wraps the "make" and "configure" steps
> with ${SETENV} (==/usr/bin/env) followed by all the variables that are
> supposed to get passed in.

indeed, but unless every pkgsrc module takes care to explicitly define
every possibly used environment variable to a known value there's no
guarantee that the build will use a 100% predictable environment.

> Maybe we should rather set ${SETENV} to
> "env -i"?

Hmmm... if $PATH and (maybe $TZ and so on) were passed through then this
would be a good idea.....  it should be easier than trying to explicitly
set every possibly used variable....

I will volunteer to try setting this in my pkgsrc -- I'll start with
setting only PATH and let y'all know how it goes....

--
								Greg A. Woods