Subject: Re: debugging with perl
To: Frederick Bruckman <>
From: Lubomir Sedlacik <>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 05/08/2002 16:32:44

On Wed, May 08, 2002 at 07:56:30AM -0500, Frederick Bruckman wrote:
> On Wed, 8 May 2002, Klaus Heinz wrote:
> > 'perl -D' (from perl-5.6.1nb6) tells me
> >
> >   Recompile perl with -DDEBUGGING to use -D switch
> >
> > Shouldn't there be some way (mk.conf ?) to decide at package build time
> > whether to include this or not?
> > Maybe there is a performance penalty for -DDEBUGGING but on
> > personal/developer machines the ability to use the debugging flags
> > is desirable, IMHO.
> This should work:
>     CONFIGURE_ARGS=3D-DDEBUGGING make configure # (or just "make")
> but yes, perhaps that would be useful enough to rate it's own hook.

this reminds me of one idea, what about standardize this a bit and add
appropriate debugging mechanism to every package which has some kind of
it's own debugging capabilities and if it's not possible, add -g, -ggdb
or somesuch to make environment?  one could enable building debugging
enabled packages by setting DEBUG_PACKAGES to 'yes' in /etc/mk.conf.
this could be helpful for developers and/or some users who rely on
debugging of software distributed in pkgsrc.

just my $.02.

-- Lubomir Sedlacik <>   ASCII Ribbon campaign against  /"\=
--                  <>   e-mail in gratuitous HTML and  \ /=
--                                       Microsoft proprietary formats   X =
-- PGPkey:                                  / \=
-- Key Fingerprint: DBEC 8BEC 9A90 ECEC 0FEF  716E 59CE B70B 7E3B 70E2     =

Version: GnuPG v1.0.7 (NetBSD)