Subject: Re: the first "big" near show-stopper for pkgsrc support on older systems...
To: NetBSD Packages Technical Discussion List <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Alistair Crooks <agc@wasabisystems.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 05/04/2002 07:57:46
On Fri, May 03, 2002 at 09:57:11PM -0400, Greg A. Woods wrote:
> I've just encountered what might be the first big and nearly show-
> stopping issue with using pkgsrc-current on older NetBSD systems.
>
> It is sysutils/user, which is not even remotely portable code, and not
> even backwards portable to older NetBSD systems.  (There are also other
> lesser issues with the whole idea, including the use in mk/install/*.)

Thanks for that, Greg.

What is the problem, exactly?

user(8) is based on the addnerd package, which has been around in
pkgsrc since we found we had to add users.  The interface to user(8)
is based on the SVR4 useradd(1m) commands. If it's not portable to
other systems, I'd like to use a compatible piece of machinery to
use the native user management programs (this is being done on
Darwin, for example).  If it's not portable to older systems, I'd
like to know why not, so that we can fix it, rather than ignoring
the problem.

Regards,
Alistair