Subject: Re: {lang/tcl,TCL}'s tclConfig.sh
To: Stoned Elipot <seb@script.jussieu.fr>
From: Martin Weber <Ephaeton@gmx.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 04/23/2002 18:51:33
On Tue, Apr 23, 2002 at 06:34:20PM +0200, Stoned Elipot wrote:
> Hi,
> i'm not really TCL literate so I'm wondering:
> a) what purpose serves TCL_PACKAGE_PATH in tclConfig.sh ?

iirc it tells add on packages where they should install.

TCL_PACKAGE_PATH is the value with which the tcl-variable
tcl_pkgPath gets initialized at startup of the interpreter.
The tcl interpreter searches required packages under this
path.

Add on packages (like e.g. tcl-readline) check the tclCOnfig.sh,
and install under this path so the interpreter finds them.

> b) why pkgsrc/lang/tcl/patches/patch-ae adds a `/tcl' suffix to
>    TCL_PACKAGE_PATH ?

I think initially it is just prefix/lib. Now with TCL_PACKAGE_PATH as prefix/lib,
user-installed tcl-packages would be hinted by their configure system to install
in a subdirectory of prefix/lib, in our case /usr/pkg/lib.
And we don't want tcl packages to be in /usr/pkg/lib but in /usr/pkg/lib/tcl I guess.

> Best regards, Stoned.
hth, Martin Weber