Subject: Re: pkglint complaint
To: None <>
From: Julio Merino <>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 04/19/2002 21:06:35

On Fri, Apr 19, 2002 at 08:55:00PM +0200, Klaus Heinz wrote:
> Hi,
>   OK: checking Makefile.
>   OK: including ./../../lang/perl5/
>   WARN: "DEPENDS" has to appear earlier in Makefile.
>   OK: checking ./PLIST.
>   OK: checking ./DESCR.
>   OK: checking ./MESSAGE.

The DEPENDS warning you are getting can come from the
file that you include. If you try to remove the include line and run
again the pkglint, you will see the error disappere (I hope).

So I think that this is correct and something should be corrected
anywhere else, not your package.

> If I move the DEPENDS line, I get complaints about=20
>   FATAL: extra item "DEPENDS" placed in the MAINTAINER section

This is right. DEPENDS can't go in the MAINTAINER section.

> Another complaint is
>   WARN: possible use of absolute pathname "/etc/mail...", in ./MESSAGE
> This pathname in the MESSAGE file is used intentionally. Should I ignore
> the warning ?

I'm also having the same warnings on a MESSAGE file. Though I guess that
they can be forget as they are used intentionally. Another thing would be
if you hardcoded /usr/pkg, which should be ${LOCALBASE} instead...

> ciao
>      Klaus

Of course it runs NetBSD -
HispaBSD member -