Subject: Re: Motif-using packages moving from ${X11BASE} to ${LOCALBASE}
To: Johnny Lam <jlam@jgrind.org>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 04/17/2002 02:33:05
[ On Tuesday, April 16, 2002 at 20:11:11 (-0700), Johnny Lam wrote: ]
> Subject: Motif-using packages moving from ${X11BASE} to ${LOCALBASE}
>
> Are there packages in this list that really should be in ${X11BASE}?

I think that all packages that primarily (or only) have/use X11
interfaces, should be in $X11BASE.

(this is despite the fact I do use xpkgwedge in some scenarios  :-)

If I don't have $X11BASE/bin in my path because I'm not in front of an
X11-capable display then I don't want to accidentally find something I
can't run, and I don't want my path cluttered with all that stuff even
if I do know not to try to run it.

(I would actually much rather prefer to have a $LOCALBASE/X11/bin et al
than to use xpkgwedge in those scenarios where I use it today in order
to keep third-party files separate from base-OS files, BTW.  I.e. have
$LOCALBASE fully mirror the base system hierarchy, not be a half-baked
variation of the old partial /usr/local mess.)

--
								Greg A. Woods