Subject: Re: Making aumix X independant
To: Julio Merino <slink@unixbsd.org>
From: Nathan J. Williams <nathanw@wasabisystems.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 04/07/2002 10:31:54
Julio Merino <slink@unixbsd.org> writes:

> The first I want to modify is aumix. It depends by default on gtk,
> a thing that I do not like. It would be better to have an option to
> do that.
>
> I mean, in FreeBSD you can do something like this (like xchat):
> # make WITHOUT_GNOME=yes
> which builds the package without gnome.
>
> In OpenBSD I've seen some packages (like emacs) where you can do:
> # env NO_X11=yes make
> which is more or less the same.

I don't think that either of these are good ideas. The number of
different ways to build a package should be as small as possible, so
that a binary package can be trusted to have certain comments.

In your example, I think it would be bad if there could be multiple
"aumix-2.7.tgz" packages, some of which used GTK and some of which did
not. The multi-package separation that you see with vim (vim
vs. vim-gtk vs. vim-xaw) or mtr (mtr vs. mtr-gtk) is a better way to
handle this.

        - Nathan