Subject: package building questions
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Klaus Heinz <klaus.heinz@onlinehome.de>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 04/05/2002 22:50:40
Hi,

I had the need to build leafnode, a small news server for home users.
As this was rather easy I am thinking about turning it into a package.

There are some decisions to make about configuration options for leafnode:

  - leafnode itself has no builtin access restrictions but people are
    _supposed_ to use tcpwrappers, although it can run without.
    Should I add a dependency for security/tcp_wrappers ?

  - I have used /var/spool/news as the spool directory instead of
    $prefix/var/spool/news, which leafnode suggests if $prefix is used.
    Does anything else use /var/spool/news and could cause a conflict ?

  - Should I stick to the original location for leafnode's lockfile
    (/var/lock/news/ with owner news:news), or is it better to put everything
    in one place (as I did on my machine) and use /var/spool/news/lock/ ?
    leafnode already uses some directories below /var/spool/news/.

  - How am I supposed to deal with the runtime files and directories
    leafnode created when the package is removed ? And should I try to detect
    at install time whether a previous deinstallation left anything
    (e.g. the news spool or the configuration file) behind ?
    This also applies to /usr/pkg/etc/leafnode/ where the installation puts
    config.example and which cannot be removed because the user must create
    the real config file in this directory.

  - leafnode uses cron to expire old articles and inetd to get started
    when a program connects to the nntp port.
    Should I automate these additions/removals to/from inetd.conf
    and crontab ? Or is a MESSAGE file with instructions more appropriate ?

ciao
     Klaus