Subject: Re: pkgsrc and jot(1)
To: Martti Kuparinen <martti.kuparinen@iki.fi>
From: Johnny C. Lam <jlam@netbsd.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 04/05/2002 06:24:04
On Fri, Apr 05, 2002 at 04:00:49PM +0300, Martti Kuparinen wrote:
> On Fri, 5 Apr 2002, Hubert Feyrer wrote:
>
> > Solaris 8 doesn't have jot.
>
> OK, so I'll look at other solutions then.
>
> > > What I don't like is the old system where I listed all those 200+
> > > patches, it was too painful to maintain the Makefile...
> >
> > How about feeding the patches back to the authors and wait for a new
> > release? ;-)
>
> Those are official vim patches (not my patches) to fix errors in the
> vim releases. 5.8 had 7 patches while 6.0 had 270...

I can understand a few patches, but ~300 patches all applied in sequence?
That's just silly.

Does the Vim license allow us to apply all of the patches that we want and
creating a new tarball that we can place on ftp.netbsd.org?  If so, then
all of this patch stuff is just a big headache that we can sidestep.  We
just have to be careful about how we name/number our vim distfiles.

	Cheers,

	-- Johnny Lam <jlam@netbsd.org>