Subject: trying to build gcompris-1.0.2 package
To: None <>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 03/28/2002 20:00:43
I am building a gcompris-1.0.2 package. gcompris is a set of educational
activities for young children. gcompris website is at

My pkgsrc for it (not working yet) is at (2523 bytes)

The output of "make" is at (104401

And the output of the successful "make install" is at
(52559 bytes)
I had to patch the makefile because the installer wants a find -printf
switch. (My exclude fix is not right.)

Anyways, when running it, I receive:

$ gcompris
gcompris_set_locale requested en got (null)
Can't resolve host name "unix"!
Message: scan_plugins /home/reed/.gcompris/Plugins/
Message: scan_plugins /usr/pkg/lib/gcompris/
/usr/pkg/lib/gcompris/ Undefined PLT symbol
"gcompris_score_start" (reloc type = 7, symnum = 12)

... and many more ...

/usr/pkg/lib/gcompris/ Undefined PLT symbol
"convertUTF8Toisolat1" (reloc type = 7, symnum = 85)
/usr/pkg/lib/gcompris/ Undefined PLT symbol "board_finished"
(reloc type = 7, symnum = 40)
/usr/pkg/lib/gcompris/ Undefined PLT symbol
"gcompris_score_start" (reloc type = 7, symnum = 26)

** ERROR **: Cant't find the menu board or plugin execution error
Abort trap (core dumped)

Each of these libraries need to be linked against a shared library
containing these or they need to be included in them. But I am not sure
how or where to start.

For example, ldd of /usr/pkg/lib/gcompris/ doesn't show any
other gcompris libraries.

Anyone using gcompris?

Anyone interested in helping?

Any ideas on how I can make each of these libraries build with the correct
libraries linked in?

My package still needs a better PLIST. I don't have
/usr/pkg/share/gcompris/* in it yet.

(By the way, I never installed or gcompris before; I thought it would be
easier to build using pkgsrc. I am excited to use it -- it has spanish
and french lessons.)

   Jeremy C. Reed