Subject: Re: question about sendmail-current package license
To: Sean J. Schluntz <schluntz@workofstone.com>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 03/22/2002 17:02:18
On Fri, 22 Mar 2002, Sean J. Schluntz wrote:

> When building the sendmail and attempting to build the sendmail-current
> packages I got the note that it required the no_profit entry in the
> mk.conf file.
>
> Why is sendmail marked this way?  I've looked over the licensing and
> there do not appear to be any restrictions that would cause this
> to be put on the package.

Read the LICENSE again.

 ... Redistribution .. is permitted only if ...  Redistributions are made
 at no charge beyond the reasonable cost of materials and delivery.

Many think sendmail shouldn't be included in the default base install in
the first place, but great for pkgsrc. As for myself, I use my own mailout
for outgoing SMTP to a mailhub. Then for a real mail server, I use pkgsrc
(for Exim).

   Jeremy C. Reed
   http://www.reedmedia.net/