Subject: problem with byte-compilation of Python files?
To: None <>
From: Johnny Lam <>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 03/20/2002 14:42:18
I received mail from a PostgreSQL developer that claimed that byte-compiling
Python files before they're installed in their final location is incorrect
since the byte-compilation process embeds the path to the input file within
the output file.  A quick glance through pkgsrc shows a few examples of
byte-compiling files while their within the work/ directory and then just
copying those files to the final install location:

Does anyone know if what he says is true?  If so, then we would have to
sweep through the Python packages in pkgsrc to call "python"
at post-install time instead of at do-build or post-build time.

	-- Johnny Lam <>