Subject: Re: www/galeon vs. esound or NAS
To: NetBSD Packages Technical Discussion List <tech-pkg@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 03/19/2002 22:25:32
[ On , March 19, 2002 at 21:18:49 (-0400), Jared D. McNeill wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: www/galeon vs. gconf
>
> On Tue, 2002-03-19 at 21:03, Greg A. Woods wrote:
>
> > (now if only GNOME, galeon, et al, would use NAS instead of Esound....)
>
> You could probably wedge NAS support into esound somewhere...

As long as it's not into the esound daemon itself.  Now there would be
an UGLY hack!  The NAS server does a reasonable enough job of what
esound claims to do, all by itself.  :-)

I suspect it's quite easy to manually translate esound client calls into
NAS client calls, but I've not yet tried.

It may even be easy to make a library with an esound-like API that then
just calls the NAS libaudio directly (i.e. a shim over top the NAS
client library).  It should be easier to do this than it is to make
libaudiooss work.  :-)

Of course I don't _really_ need my browser itself to bleep at me!  ;-)

--
								Greg A. Woods