Subject: Re: pkgconfig and buildlink
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Amitai Schlair <schmonz@schmonz.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 03/19/2002 21:10:54
"mcmahill@mtl.mit.edu" <mcmahill@mtl.mit.edu> wrote:

> On Tue, 19 Mar 2002, Johnny C. Lam wrote:
>
>> On Sun, Mar 17, 2002 at 10:43:16AM -0500, mcmahill@mtl.mit.edu wrote:
>>>
>>> are there any examples of how to create buildlink.mk files for packages
>>> which use devel/pkgconfig (sort of a universal gtk-config type program).
>>
>> Can you give some examples of packages in our tree that use pkg-config?
>> I'd like to study how it's invoked so I can help devise a buildlink.mk
>> solution.
>
> i'm not sure of any, but 4 packages I'm working on importing soon do....
> graphics/imlib and graphics/gphoto2 both install .pc files, but it looks
> like they don't do anything with them.

I might be reading you wrong, but just to err on the side of clarity:
packages that install .pc files do so for the benefit of other packages that
expect to use pkg-config to find them. For example, gphoto2's .pc file would
come in handy if graphics/sane-backends were to use pkg-config to look for
gphoto2.

gphoto2 will use pkg-config to find graphics/libexif if you have pkg-config
installed and comment out the line "CONFIGURE_ARGS+= --without-pkgconfig" in
gphoto2's Makefile.

- Amitai