Subject: unexpected samba lossage due to PKG_SYSCONFDIR change
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Luke Mewburn <lukem@netbsd.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 03/18/2002 16:12:14
I recently updated my samba package (most likely as part of a
"make update" in elsewhere in my tree), and I got screwed because
of:
	a) the config location changed from /etc/samba
	   to /usr/pkg/etc/samba

    and then

	b) a default config file was installed into
	   /usr/pkg/etc/samba/smb.conf, which /etc/rc.d/samba
	   then uses as the config file for samba.

This meant I was now running an smb server on my system with a different
(less restrictive) configuration file than my local configuration file.

I Am Not Amused.

I can cope with the change of location of the config file; I just
copy files around in my configuration management tree and push out
the changes.

What I find unacceptable is that the samba package installed a
/usr/pkg/etc/samba/smb.conf on my system because it didn't
find one there in the first place, and therefore samba will
now start up with what is effectively a "sample" config file.

Package people: please fix.

(A grumpy) Luke.