Subject: Re: FW: NetBSD WWW feedback from bobm@cdslabels.com
To: Bob McClure <Rmcclure@vestcommw.com>
From: Johnny C. Lam <jlam@netbsd.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 03/07/2002 15:37:37
On Thu, Mar 07, 2002 at 11:08:37AM -0600, Bob McClure wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 07, 2002 at 07:28:16AM -0800, bob mcclure wrote:
> > bobm@cdslabels.com (bob mcclure) sent the following
> > comment about The NetBSD Project's WWW server:

> > Possible broken links to PHP packages.
> >
> > I have been getting 'page cannot be displayed' errors for many of the
> > php packages.  Additionally, I have not been able to install via pkg_add
> > command, and appears to involve ftp files as well.  PKG_PATH has been
> > set to:

This particular problem is due to the PHP binary packages being removed
after the latest security announcement regarding PHP4.  All versions of
PHP4 < 4.1.2 are vulnerable according to www.php.net.

This is part of a larger problem NetBSD Packages has regarding having a
good set of binary packages for NetBSD releases, as we don't have a good
policy to cover this situation yet.  What happens right now is that
periodically, an entire new set of packages built from a recent pkgsrc
tree is uploaded en masse onto ftp.netbsd.org.

The only solution for your problem for now is to build www/php4 from a
recent pkgsrc.  This may necessitate updating other unrelated packages on
your system, which is also another problem that NetBSD Packages hasn't
solved yet.

	Cheers,

	-- Johnny Lam <jlam@netbsd.org>