Subject: Re: OK to remove "check-depends"?
To: Frederick Bruckman <>
From: Robert Elz <kre@munnari.OZ.AU>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 03/05/2002 19:44:14
    Date:        Mon, 4 Mar 2002 21:14:26 -0600 (CST)
    From:        Frederick Bruckman <>

  | Actually, "make fetch" seems to do that without the NO_DEPENDS=, since
  | about,v1.843, 08-Nov-01. I'm suggesting this is actually a
  | good thing, and that we should garbage collect check-depends.

Please.   And yes, it is a good thing.   I was wondering if my system was
somehow broken for a while there, as I've been doing "make fetch" on a
system where almost nothing is installed (or ever will be) for all kinds
of packages - and it all just works.  All this comment about other packages
being mysteriously installed made me think I was fluking it all the time...

Do the depends stuff only when it is actually required.