Subject: Re: Bump ghostscript to 6.53
To: Rui-Xiang Guo <rxg@ms25.url.com.tw>
From: Johnny C. Lam <jlam@netbsd.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 03/01/2002 10:02:26
On Fri, Mar 01, 2002 at 10:15:21PM +0800, Rui-Xiang Guo wrote:
> Hi, all
> maybe this is a good news, especially for CJK people. :)
> First, I have to thanks Oishi-san do the initial work and Uebayashi-san
> send it to me, of course, and our pkgsrc. :)
> Now I have fix it close against with ghostscript pkg in -current pkgsrc.
> It already includes CMap in it but it seems not everyone needs it. ;)
> (Maybe add a option 'GS_USE_CJK' to it.)
> Please any pkg-manager take it a look, Mr. Johnny Lam? :)
> Maybe I should file a PR, but I think it is still un-completion
> (need more cosmetics) and hope other people could test it.
> Please fetch them from:
> 	http://cgi.educities.edu.tw/rxghome/netbsd/pkg/ghostscript.tar.gz
> 	http://cgi.educities.edu.tw/rxghome/netbsd/pkg/ghostscript-nox11.tar.gz
>
> I would try to add ttf support with this pkg later.

I think we're duplicating work as I also have a ghostscript update near
completion.  You probably have more familiarity with the gs-cjk changes
that were merged into the 6.53 release, so I'll look to merge our work.
Please send-pr your changes so that they don't get lost in the mailing
list.

There are issues with directly updating the pkgsrc ghostscript, as our
current one (APFL 6.01 + VFlib + extra printer drivers) has a different
set of functionality than the proposed update to 6.53.  The VFlib changes
are, I think, mostly Japanese-specific, so I am considering moving the
current ghostscript package to japanese/ghostscript, or perhaps just to
print/ghostscript-vflib.  However, I don't want the new ghostscript to
support fewer printers than our old one, and I'm still in the process of
checking each of the extra printer drivers to see if it may be incorporated
into ghostscript-6.53.

	Cheers,

	-- Johnny Lam <jlam@netbsd.org>