Subject: Re: Handling of OPSYS-specific patches
To: Thomas Klausner <wiz@danbala.ifoer.tuwien.ac.at>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 02/28/2002 09:37:21
On Thu, 28 Feb 2002, Thomas Klausner wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 28, 2002 at 03:04:54PM +0000, Jonathan Perkin wrote:
> > there a cleaner solution proposed and in the works?  I only ask
> > because games/xfrisk needs a small patch for SunOS:
>
> In this case I think it would be easiest if you passed down the LIBS
> setting from the Makefile via
> 	MAKE_ENV+=	LIBS="-lsocket -lnsl"
> (wrapped in the appropriate ifdefs, of course).
>
> Currently, there is no support for OPSYS-specific patches.

There used to be, but we're moving away from it. If there's not a simple
hook you can use (as above), the thing to do is to put the appropriate
conditionals in the patch, so that the single, patched codebase does
what you want it do on all platforms. That way, the original author
might accept your patches and make all our work that much easier.

Frederick