Subject: Which MESSAGE? (was Re: Faulty php-4.1.1?)
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 02/27/2002 11:15:14
> Note that when the PHP package is installed, it says:

> $NetBSD: MESSAGE,v 1.2 2002/01/11 22:27:05 jlam Exp $
>
> To process PHP scripts, you will need a PHP-enabled HTTP server.  You may

This reminded me:

It would be nice if the MESSAGE (or +DISPLAY) for any package would
clearly indicate which package it is for.

When I installed numerous packages from the Wasabi box set, I received
many MESSAGEs, but had no clue which packages they referred to.

I don't remember exactly, but here's some examples:

... enable kotalkd in inetd.conf ...

... configure gconf ...

... run texconfig ...

The MESSAGES never indicated which packages they were for.

Of course, I could have done some greps and finds, but it should be more
user friendly for my in-laws :)

For example, maybe the bsd.pkg.mk should have:

 Please note the following for ${PKGNAME}:

And the pkg_add should be changed to.

   Jeremy C. Reed
   http://www.reedmedia.net/