Subject: Re: pkg_delete: unable to change directory to ...
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 02/21/2002 13:20:15
On Thu, 21 Feb 2002, Frederick Bruckman wrote:

> On Thu, 21 Feb 2002, Jeremy C. Reed wrote:
>
> > So I did: "pkg_delete libaudiofile-0.1.10" as suggested.
>
> Nothing should have happened without "pkg_delete -r".

I tried that too. I also tried with -v, but didn't say much since it
aborted so early.

> >  pkg_delete: unable to change directory to /var/db/pkg/gnome-libs-1.2.13!
> >  deinstall failed
> >
> > I don't have this gnome-libs directory (and its not installed). I guess I
> > removed it uncleanly sometime.
> >
> > So I deleted the gnome-libs line from
> > /var/db/pkg/libaudiofile-0.1.10/+REQUIRED_BY. But that didn't help -- I
> > received same error again.
>
> That's bizarre. There isn't anywhere else that information could be
> hiding. Could there have been more than one line for gnome-libs-1.2.13?
> (You installed it more than once.)

No, it only had a few lines. I removed the gnome-libs line.

> > So I had to -f (force) it.
> >
> > Should pkg_delete just assume it is deleted if no directory for it under
> > PKG_DBDIR exists?
>
> It shouldn't abort for that reason alone (complaining is fine).

I guess it doesn't matter now, since it is gone now. If I see it again,
maybe I'll ktrace it or run it through gdb.

> > By the way, I had several of these "already installed", "older
> > version" problems. Can I do a "reinstall" with "bin-update" targets to do
> > this automatically? I want to use binaries if available.
>
> Probably not. If the collection has inconsistent binary packages,
> there's not much you can do except build from scratch.

I meant to say "bin-install" above. This reminds me that I want to
implement a "bin-update".

   Jeremy C. Reed
   http://www.reedmedia.net/