Subject: Re: pkg_delete: unable to change directory to ...
To: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 02/21/2002 14:59:30
On Thu, 21 Feb 2002, Jeremy C. Reed wrote:

> So I did: "pkg_delete libaudiofile-0.1.10" as suggested.

Nothing should have happened without "pkg_delete -r".

>  pkg_delete: unable to change directory to /var/db/pkg/gnome-libs-1.2.13!
>  deinstall failed
>
> I don't have this gnome-libs directory (and its not installed). I guess I
> removed it uncleanly sometime.
>
> So I deleted the gnome-libs line from
> /var/db/pkg/libaudiofile-0.1.10/+REQUIRED_BY. But that didn't help -- I
> received same error again.

That's bizarre. There isn't anywhere else that information could be
hiding. Could there have been more than one line for gnome-libs-1.2.13?
(You installed it more than once.)

> So I had to -f (force) it.
>
> Should pkg_delete just assume it is deleted if no directory for it under
> PKG_DBDIR exists?

It shouldn't abort for that reason alone (complaining is fine).

> By the way, I had several of these "already installed", "older
> version" problems. Can I do a "reinstall" with "bin-update" targets to do
> this automatically? I want to use binaries if available.

Probably not. If the collection has inconsistent binary packages,
there's not much you can do except build from scratch.

Frederick