Subject: Re: Support for non-root installs
To: Hubert Feyrer <hubert.feyrer@informatik.fh-regensburg.de>
From: Jonathan Perkin <sketch@rd.bbc.co.uk>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 02/21/2002 12:45:33
On Wed Feb 20, 2002 at 02:45:51PM +0100, Hubert Feyrer wrote:

> On Wed, 20 Feb 2002, Jonathan Perkin wrote:
>
> > Is this something someone is working on, if not would other people
> > want it enough for me to work on it?  If I set $LOCALBASE to
> > somewhere I have full write access to, pkg_* and source builds
> > should just run, rather than trying to su (which my admin is a bit
> > annoyed with :) or just failing with "Warning: not superuser, can't
> > run mtree." or similar.
>
> Not running mtree is the smallest problem I think, though.

Yes.  After suggestions of setting SU_CMD etc, you still get stuff like:

--<jonp@inet34>-</cache/pkgsrc/security/openssh>--
-% bmake deinstall
===> Deinstalling for openssh-3.0.2.1nb1
===> Becoming root@inet34 to deinstall openssh-3.0.2.1nb1.
/bin/sh Running PKG_DBDIR=/cache/db/pkg /cache/pkg/bsd/bin/pkg_delete openssh-3.0.2.1nb1
pkg_delete: you must be root to delete packages
--<jonp@inet34>-</cache/pkgsrc/security/openssh>--
-%

Going to require modifications to pkg_* tools as well as *.mk files.

Maybe something to do on a rainy Sunday afternoon, we'll see... :)

Many thanks,

--
 Jonathan Perkin - BBC Internet Services - <sketch@rd.bbc.co.uk>