Subject: Re: Some work on pkgsrc on Darwin
To: Eric Gillespie <epg@pretzelnet.org>
From: Alistair Crooks <agc@pkgsrc.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 02/19/2002 00:11:25
On Mon, Feb 18, 2002 at 01:12:40PM -0500, Eric Gillespie wrote:
> Alistair Crooks <agc@pkgsrc.org> writes:
>
>     > [20:50:23] agc@fs0 ~ 3 > grep RPATH /usr/pkgsrc/mk/defs.*
>
> Nevertheless, RPATH usage is hard-coded all over the place.
>
> I'm disappointed at the lack of response to the rest of my work.  If
> supporting Darwin is deemed inappropriate for NetBSD pkgsrc, i can
> certainly understand that.  It looks like it's going to require larger
> changes than originally suspected.  But if that's the case, someone
> should say so and remove the current half-working support.
>
> If, on the other hand, supporting Darwin is wanted but no one has had
> the time to look at my changes yet, i can also understand that :).
> Some comment would have been useful, at least.

Well, I've just been AFK for a week - UK schools half-term, and
then my wife's parents' 50th wedding anniversary intervened - but,
yes, your work is interesting. You'll also appreciate that there
are other things that I have to deal with in my life.

As far as pkgsrc support for Darwin is concerned, my main problem
is that I've never had a Darwin box, but have relied on a box a
few thousand miles away from me, and I haven't been able to access
said box for about a month now.  I know the direction we're going
to go to get rid of the embedded -Wl,-R sequences in pkgsrc. Without
resources to test it, I will not commit the mods to pkgsrc.

The current support is, and has always been described as, early days,
and work in progress. And, as far as that goes, 224 packages built
as a result of this work-in-progress is not that good, but is a whole
lot better than nothing.

Regards,
Alistair