Subject: Re: Some work on pkgsrc on Darwin
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Eric Gillespie <epg@pretzelnet.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 02/18/2002 18:54:44
Alistair Crooks <agc@pkgsrc.org> writes:

    > You'll also appreciate that there are other things that I have
    > to deal with in my life.

Of course; the same is true for me.  I tried to make it clear that i
understand if time is the issue.

    > As far as pkgsrc support for Darwin is concerned, my main
    > problem is that I've never had a Darwin box, but have relied on
    > a box a few thousand miles away from me, and I haven't been able
    > to access said box for about a month now.

I'd love to help you out with that one, but my only access to "Darwin"
is my iBook running Mac OS X; it reboots too often and moves around
too much to be of use to anyone.  Actually, now that i think about it,
we have a Mac running OS X at work.  I doubt i can get an account for
you, but i'll give it a try anyway.

    > I know the direction we're going to go to get rid of the
    > embedded -Wl,-R sequences in pkgsrc. Without resources to test
    > it, I will not commit the mods to pkgsrc.

That makes sense.  If you could make the changes available somewhere,
i can aid in testing, improving, and bug-fixing.  Perhaps a branch on
pkgsrc?

    > The current support is, and has always been described as, early
    > days, and work in progress. And, as far as that goes, 224
    > packages built as a result of this work-in-progress is not that
    > good, but is a whole lot better than nothing.

Of course; i'm trying to help :).

Thanks again for the attention, and do not let my anxious queries rush
you.

--
Eric Gillespie, Jr. <*> epg@pretzelnet.org

"When everyone has to reinvent the wheel, many people invent
 square wheels."