Subject: problems with name dependencies in a package
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Jon Buller <jon@bullers.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 02/14/2002 07:44:35
While working on the arch package, I've discovered that it is very
dependent on having GNU patch.  Ours just will not do the job it
expects to be done by patch.  So I added the simple dependency on
devel/patch to the package.

The only problem is that it requires the binary to be called "patch"
"gpatch" will not work, and I don't think I can change all the
shell scripts that call patch, since there are variables name patch
all over the place.

So I put this in the post-install target of the Makefile:

${LN} -s ${PREFIX}/bin/${PROGRAM_PREFIX}patch ${PREFIX}/libexec/arch/arch/patch

Is that the right thing to do?  I'm worried a little that ${PREFIX}
might have changed between the install of patch and the install of
arch.  Also, is ${PROGRAM_PREFIX} the right way to get the g in
gpatch?

Jon