Subject: package building environment
To: None <>
From: Brook Milligan <>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 02/13/2002 14:12:44
I would like to set up a machine for people building and testing new
packages for NetBSD.  The requirements, of course, are the ability to
install/deinstall packages as needed and not to compromise the machine
by allowing root access.  Two solutions present themselves:

- point $PREFIX to someplace with general write permissions (I suppose
  each user could have their own $PREFIX) and change $SU_CMD to
  something like /bin/sh so that "normal" users can manipulate
  packages as needed, and

- find some scheme (via $SU_CMD and sudo?) for allowing users to
  manipulate packages in a limited way without compromising the whole

Has anyone else solved this problem?  If so, how?  Are there other
ways I haven't thought of?  What solution is best?

Thanks for your help.