Subject: Re: libtool
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Klaus Heinz <heinz@netbsd.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 02/13/2002 03:32:57
Hi Hubert Feyrer, you wrote:

> As far as I understand, there are people that think that libtool should be
> shot in the head and everything be replaced with bsd.lib(?).mk. There are
> other people that think of libtool as an acceptable tool.

I cannot find any bsd.lib.mk in pkgsrc/mk but libtool is available and
widely used. As to the quality, I cannot judge that.

> Getting to a consistent guideline for pkgsrc would need a consensus on
> that issue first, which I don't think will happen easily.

For me, the question is not, whether libtool is adequate but rather
'am I supposed to use it, even for packages where the non-packaged software
does not'.

Packages.txt does not mention different opinions, but says
  'The "libtool" pkg can help here, as it just "knows" how to build
   both static and dynamic libraries from a set our source files,
   thus being platform independent.' [hmm, there's a typo: s/our/of/]

Using it would require some effort to understand the build process of
the software in detail and injecting the appropriate 'libtool' commands.

If I just use the build process as it is, package building is considerably
easier but maybe the package might only work on some NetBSD ports
or other platforms where pkgsrc is available.

Of course I tend to go the easier route :) but I don't want to leave
some ports out in the cold...

ciao
     Klaus