Subject: libtool
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Klaus Heinz <heinz@netbsd.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 02/12/2002 04:04:46
Hi,

pkgsrc/Packages.txt mentions 'libtool' in chapter 6.2. My understanding
of 'libtool' has been in the direction 'abstraction of shared library
creation on _different_ platforms' but the text in Packages.txt
seems to consider the NetBSD ports as different platforms.

Are the differences between the NetBSD ports (I guess this means a.out vs.
ELF) big enough to warrant the introduction of 'libtool' into a package
when the software (mainly a collection of libraries, textproc/ICU)
already works out of the box on NetBSD (/i386) without libtool ?

Or is 'libtool' used in pkgsrc mainly for the non-NetBSD systems like
Solaris, Linux and Darwin ?

Maybe the chapter on 'libtool' in Packages.txt could either be updated
('libtool is not necessary (anymore)') or more specific ('if your
package builds shared libraries for public consumption _do_ use libtool').

ciao
     Klaus