Subject: Re: Summary: Third-party rc.d scripts
To: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
From: Tracy J. Di Marco White <gendalia@iastate.edu>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 02/09/2002 21:34:55
Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net> wrote:
}It seems like there's finally a consensus brewing on where to install
}the rc.d scripts, and I'd like to get on with that. As far as the
}sharing ${PREFIX} situation goes, installing scripts directly into
}/etc/rc.d shouldn't cause that much of a problem, as long as there are
}no conflicts: you just "pax -r -w -pe -v /etc/{rc.d,defaults}/* ..."
}to a shared directory periodically or after installing new packages.

I've been behind on email, and only just started catching up.  I'm
hoping I'd be able to set where they go with a variable or something,
as I am planning to share packages between a large number of machines.
(Granted, my plans don't have to be supported by NetBSD.) I'd prefer
to be able to install the scripts in ${PREFIX}/etc, even if that isn't
the default.

The example pax command could also be a large problem if the machines
aren't running exactly the same version, as system rc.d scripts change
between versions, are added and removed.  I would also be concerned
(although this may be a lesser concern) about where you're installing
these scripts on operating systems pkgsrc supports that aren't NetBSD.

Tracy J. Di Marco White
Project Vincent Systems Manager
gendalia@iastate.edu