Subject: Re: Summary: Third-party rc.d scripts
To: Shannon <shannon@widomaker.com>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 02/09/2002 20:11:37
On Sat, 9 Feb 2002, Shannon wrote:

> On Sat, Feb 09, 2002 at 03:54:28PM -0600, Frederick Bruckman wrote:
> > They should have unique names, like "pkg_named", and unique rcvars, so
> > you could start, say, either "named" or "pkg_named" or both, just by
> > twiddling the knobs in "/etc/rc.conf". This way we're free to install
> > them into "/etc/rc.d", maybe even include them in some future base system.

> I think pkg_named would also serve as a good reminder of exactly where
> that service is coming from.
>
> What about stuff put in /usr/local or /opt? If we create a package, I
> assume you would think the same rules apply, giving us local_named and
> opt_named.

If you're talking about setting ${LOCALBASE} at package build time,
that would be hard. Certainly not if we install a defaults/rc.pkg.conf
as part of the base system. Perhaps we could just agree that the
"pkg_" stands for "package system", and not for "/usr/pkg"? That would
make "xpkgwedge" a little easier to support, too, if the rcvar and
filename didn't change (when X packages are installed to /usr/pkg).

Frederick