Subject: Re: Summary: Third-party rc.d scripts
To: NetBSD Packages Technical Discussion List <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 02/09/2002 19:06:04
On Sat, 9 Feb 2002, Greg A. Woods wrote:
> [ On Saturday, February 9, 2002 at 15:54:28 (-0600), Frederick Bruckman wrote: ]
> > On Fri, 8 Feb 2002, Greg A. Woods wrote:
> > >
> > > A pkg_install (or pkg_activate, or
> > > similar) script/program/etc. should be added to facilitate making a
> > > package work on any given client system.
> >
> > Interesting idea. I think it's not necessary, though: all the clients
> > could, instead, sync up "/etc/rc.d/", "/etc/defaults/rc.{,pkg.}conf",
> > and "/usr/share/sushi/system/rcconf/form" with the server. If there's
> > something that they then all need enabled, enable it on one, and sync
> > "/etc/rc.conf" with each other.
>
> This would work, but only for rc.d scripts -- what about other
> host-specific configuration files that packages have (the most notable
> and most important perhaps being SSH, but many others have similar
> requirements, such as apache, pine, etc., etc., etc.)?

Well, currently, ${PKG_SYSCONFDIR} defaults to ${PREFIX}/etc, so
that's a boon for the fellow who wants to share configs between 300
machines. Honestly, put yourself in his position. Which is easier: 1)
arrange to run pkg_install on each host, for each package you install
on the server, each time you install it, or 2) tar up a template
"etc.tar.gz" on the server, with the dangerous parts missing (myname,
ifconfig.<if>), and pull it down and reboot each host after all the
packages are installed.

Frederick