Subject: Re: Handling 3rd party rc scripts
To: NetBSD Packages Technical Discussion List <tech-pkg@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Greg A. Woods <>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 02/08/2002 16:21:34
[ On Friday, February 8, 2002 at 11:17:31 (+0000), Sean Witham wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: Handling 3rd party rc scripts
> But you would want the package activation on individual hosts to be
> tracked by the shared pkg resource, so it could warn about dependent
> hosts if you tried to de-install and package from the shared resource
> before all the activated hosts that share resource from it had been
> de-activated.

This is a very good point.  I thought about it briefly, but left it as
one of those things to be dealt with when/iff this road was travelled.  :-)

> I think in most cases activating a package on a host
> would need to involve localised installation of the whole package to
> avoid these complex sharing conflicts.

That brings you right back to the beginning again:  don't try to share
your installed packages (eg. /usr/pkg)!  ;-)

Indeed that's what I do today -- I build and test binary packages and
then separately install copies of them on each production machine.

								Greg A. Woods

+1 416 218-0098;  <>;  <>;  <>