Subject: Re: Handling 3rd party rc scripts
To: NetBSD Packages Technical Discussion List <tech-pkg@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Sean Witham <sean.witham@webscreen-technology.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 02/08/2002 11:17:31
On Thursday 07 Feb 2002 8:50 pm, you wrote:

> Note that if pkgsrc would make better use of things like the
> REQ{IRE} and INSTALL scripts it would be relatively easy to extend
> them to include this additional activation process.  Then you'd do
> a "pkg_add" on the file server, and "pkg_install" on each client.
> Even DEINSTALL could be extended to allow for client de-activation
> without full de-installation.

But you would want the package activation on individual hosts to be
tracked by the shared pkg resource, so it could warn about dependent
hosts if you tried to de-install and package from the shared resource
before all the activated hosts that share resource from it had been
de-activated. I think in most cases activating a package on a host
would need to involve localised installation of the whole package to
avoid these complex sharing conflicts.

--Sean