Subject: Re: Handling 3rd party rc scripts
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Thomas Klausner <wiz@danbala.ifoer.tuwien.ac.at>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 02/08/2002 10:33:23
On Thu, Feb 07, 2002 at 02:11:20PM -0500, Greg A. Woods wrote:
> I've been installing packages with LOCALBASE=/usr ever since 1.3.3, and
> indeed installing replacements for system-supplied software using the
> pkgsrc system.  This practice does in fact work very very well (at least
> for the few packages I use regularly! ;-).

While people knowing exactly what they're doing might get away with
doing this, I don't recommend taking up this practice.  The problem is
that you might get additional unwanted (and unnoted) dependencies if a
configure script just goes and looks for whatever libraries it might
work with, some of which might not be DEPENDencies in the package; if
you then deinstall the configure-found package, any packages that
depend on it get broken...

In other words, buildlink.mk won't work in the intended way for you.

Bye,
 Thomas

--
Thomas Klausner - wiz@danbala.tuwien.ac.at
When all other means of communication fail, try words.