Subject: Re: Summary: Third-party rc.d scripts
To: Amitai Schlair <schmonz@schmonz.com>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 02/08/2002 01:00:30
[ On Thursday, February 7, 2002 at 23:48:37 (-0500), Amitai Schlair wrote: ]
> Subject: Summary: Third-party rc.d scripts
>
> Here's my attempt at a summary of the problems we're trying to solve, and
> the proposed solutions.
>
> 1) Some people want all rc.d scripts in /etc/rc.d.

Ultimately that's the only really workable solution with any elegance to
it, especially for those who wish to share /usr/pkg.  While such sripts
are not exactly configuration items per se, they are necessary parts of
the host-specific files that might be needed for any given package and
as such they really should live somewhere under /etc.  There's really no
point to creating two places under /etc for admins and programs to
search through so they should just be put directly into /etc/rc.d (but
see below...).

>      pkgsrc can be taught to stash an rc.d script somewhere safe before
>      overwriting it (/var/backups?).

Ah, no, pkgsrc should install the original copy of the rc.d script under
$PREFIX/share/examples/$PKGBASE.  A pkg_install (or pkg_activate, or
similar) script/program/etc. should be added to facilitate making a
package work on any given client system.  Such activation will not only
copy the rc.d script into place (and simply fail if there's already a
conflicting script, but also copy the other example config files into
place, perhaps performing some default set of edits on them as it does).
By default pkg_add should call pkg_install to activate the package for
the file server -- this can be disabled with a command-line option in
case the file server is not intended to run the pacakge.

--
								Greg A. Woods