Subject: Re: Handling 3rd party rc scripts
To: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
From: Shannon <shannon@widomaker.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 02/07/2002 14:57:43
On Thu, Feb 07, 2002 at 12:09:52PM -0600, Frederick Bruckman wrote:

> If you do have two scripts with the same name, they probably use the
> same rc.conf knob, too, so they'll both start if one does, which is not

Both starting might actually be what you want though. I ran apache from
both /usr/pkg and /usr/local last year.

Why can't packages use rc.conf from their base directory instead of
/etc?

> > I think the best solution would be to remove pkgsrc as a "special case",
> > and just control everything with the same packaging system -- and I
> > understand that work is being done towards this very same goal.
> > However, until that's complete, if 3rd party rc scripts are to be
> > install automatically by pkg_add, they should probably get their own
> > directory outside of /etc/rc.d.
>
> Hmm. How else would you pick which "ntpd" to run, except by putting the
> active one into "/etc/rc.d"?

Well, that's probably a bad example because right now I cannot think
of a reason to run two copies.  But you might want two installed and
only be using one.

Maybe we need to process rc.conf for each hierarchy so that controls
which one, or possible each, rc.d script gets run.

--
______________________/ armchairrocketscientistgraffitiexenstentialist