Subject: Re: Handling 3rd party rc scripts
To: Amitai Schlair <schmonz@schmonz.com>
From: Shannon <shannon@widomaker.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 02/07/2002 13:16:00
On Wed, Feb 06, 2002 at 10:38:46AM -0500, Amitai Schlair wrote:
> "Shannon" <shannon@widomaker.com> wrote:
>
> > On Wed, Feb 06, 2002 at 02:31:46AM -0500, Amitai Schlair wrote:
> >
> > > As I see it, if rc.d scripts originating from pkgsrc are registered
> as
> > > part of the packages they control, then there's no reason to put
> them
> > > anywhere but /etc/rc.d. Are there cases I'm not thinking of?
> >
> > Multiple installs of the same package maybe?
> >
> > I've been told that the prefix and master/slave code doesn't really
> > work, but the possibility is there.
>
> I'd like to see pkgsrc eventually support installing multiple instances
> of a package. However, it doesn't yet, and it's going to be hard anyway,
> plus we don't know exactly how it'll work. So I think we shouldn't worry
> about it too much right now.

The problem is that people are doing this already. It's not uncommon to
have two copies of something like Apache, one normal package and one in
/usr/local, perhaps even several.

I think it would be very wrong to store /usr/pkg and /usr/local
configuration files in /etc. Maybe if you put them in subdirectories
like /etc/local and /etc/pkg, but definitely not in /etc itself.

--
______________________/ armchairrocketscientistgraffitiexenstentialist