Subject: Re: Handling 3rd party rc scripts
To: Lars Kellogg-Stedman <lars@larsshack.org>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 02/07/2002 12:09:52
On Thu, 7 Feb 2002, Lars Kellogg-Stedman wrote:

> > As I see it, if rc.d scripts originating from pkgsrc are registered as
> > part of the packages they control, then there's no reason to put them
> > anywhere but /etc/rc.d. Are there cases I'm not thinking of?
>
> Yup.
>
> It's entirely possible that someone may want to install a more recent build
> of, say, postfix, or ntpd, or whatever, than is available on the stock
> system.  I think it would be a bad idea for this install to tromp on files
> that effectively belong to another package.

If you do have two scripts with the same name, they probably use the
same rc.conf knob, too, so they'll both start if one does, which is not
what you want. It might not be unreasonable to give the last one
installed precedence (that is, let them over-write each other), though
that would be drag for folks who are only building a package with no
intention of running it. (But not a big deal -- you just have to
remember to re-install the one from /usr/src/etc/rc.d.)

> I think the best solution would be to remove pkgsrc as a "special case",
> and just control everything with the same packaging system -- and I
> understand that work is being done towards this very same goal.
> However, until that's complete, if 3rd party rc scripts are to be
> install automatically by pkg_add, they should probably get their own
> directory outside of /etc/rc.d.

Hmm. How else would you pick which "ntpd" to run, except by putting the
active one into "/etc/rc.d"?

Frederick