Subject: Re: Handling 3rd party rc scripts
To: Amitai Schlair <schmonz@schmonz.com>
From: Lars Kellogg-Stedman <lars@larsshack.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 02/07/2002 12:46:46
> As I see it, if rc.d scripts originating from pkgsrc are registered as
> part of the packages they control, then there's no reason to put them
> anywhere but /etc/rc.d. Are there cases I'm not thinking of?

Yup.

Until "system" packages (e.g., install time software) is controlled
by the same packaging system as pkgsrc, dropping pkgsrc rc scripts into
/etc/rc.d runs the chance of obliterating an rc file that belongs to
another piece of installed software.

It's entirely possible that someone may want to install a more recent build
of, say, postfix, or ntpd, or whatever, than is available on the stock
system.  I think it would be a bad idea for this install to tromp on files
that effectively belong to another package.

I think the best solution would be to remove pkgsrc as a "special case",
and just control everything with the same packaging system -- and I
understand that work is being done towards this very same goal.
However, until that's complete, if 3rd party rc scripts are to be
install automatically by pkg_add, they should probably get their own
directory outside of /etc/rc.d.

-- Lars

--
Lars Kellogg-Stedman <lars@larsshack.org>