Subject: Re: Handling 3rd party rc scripts
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Amitai Schlair <schmonz@schmonz.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 02/06/2002 02:31:46
On Tuesday, February 5, 2002, at 05:17  PM, Lars Kellogg-Stedman wrote:

> What about allowing third party packages to place rc scripts
> in something like /etc/pkg/rc.d?

I love the idea that for every service on my machine, there's a script to
control it, and these scripts generally all work the same way -- including
the path to run them. Keep in mind that booting isn't the only time rc.d
scripts get run.

As I see it, if rc.d scripts originating from pkgsrc are registered as
part of the packages they control, then there's no reason to put them
anywhere but /etc/rc.d. Are there cases I'm not thinking of?

I'm glad you brought this problem up. As a wild-eyed partisan of our rc.d
system and pkgsrc, I'd like to see us solve it really well.

- Amitai