Subject: Re: Handling 3rd party rc scripts
To: Amitai Schlair <schmonz@schmonz.com>
From: Lubomir Sedlacik <salo@Xtrmntr.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 02/06/2002 03:40:17
--ghzN8eJ9Qlbqn3iT

hi,

On Tue, Feb 05, 2002 at 09:13:30PM -0500, Amitai Schlair wrote:
> Does that tell the package tools the right path to the installed rc.d
> script, so that e.g. removing the package removes the script? If so,
> cool, it sounds exactly right.

see pkgsrc/mk/install/deinstall for details:

  eval set -- ${RCD_SCRIPTS}
  for script
  do                                                   =20
    samplefile=3D"${PKG_PREFIX}/etc/rc.d/${script}"      =20
    file=3D"${RCD_SCRIPTS_DIR}/${script}"
    shift
    ALL_FILES=3D"${ALL_FILES} \"${samplefile}\" \"${file}\""
  done

so as you can see, yes, it tries to deinstall that file as well if it
doesn't differ from the original one.  of course, bsd.pkg.install.mk
must me included in package's Makefile to use these features.

> IIRC, the reason INSTALL_RCD_SCRIPTS defaults to NO is that if someone
> installs a package with an rc.d script and forgets to set the
> appropriate rc.conf variable, it makes noise at boot. If we're going to
> change the default value of INSTALL_RCD_SCRIPTS to YES, then we have to
> account for this.

and that is the default behaviour.  see pkgsrc/mk/bsd.pkg.install.mk for
further details:

  # Default to not installing the rc.d scripts automatically.
  INSTALL_RCD_SCRIPTS?=3D NO

i just have a strange feeling that someone is trying to reinvent the
wheel here :) (no offense meant)

regards,

--=20
-- Lubomir Sedlacik <salo@Xtrmntr.org>   ASCII Ribbon campaign against  /"\=