Subject: Re: Handling 3rd party rc scripts
To: Shannon <shannon@widomaker.com>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 02/05/2002 21:34:16
On Tue, 5 Feb 2002, Shannon wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 05, 2002 at 06:27:54PM -0600, Frederick Bruckman wrote:
> > On Wed, 6 Feb 2002, Luke Mewburn wrote:
>
> > That's progess. Now, what is pkgsrc supposed to do? pkgsrc currently
> > installs scripts to /usr/pkg/etc/rc.d, and (unevenly) suggests copying
> > them to /etc/rc.d, but many people are evidently afraid to do that,
> > and so keep on proposing ways to run them directly from
> > /usr/pkg/etc/rc.d (which, as you said, is not acceptable as the default).
> > Should we just install them into /etc/rc.d, and register them there,
> > as Lars suggested?
>
> I'm not yet convinced this is a good idea, or even a safe one.
>
> For one thing, it's nice to have a package rooted in <dir> keep
> everything in <dir>.

No, I'm sorry, but it's even nicer to have all your configuration
files in one place. Have a better reason than that? ;-)

In point of fact, it doesn't really matter where they go, except that
they have to go on the root file-system to support network mounted
/usr, and that pretty much leads to putting them into "/etc".

> Also, there are options for installing packages in alternate
> hierarchies. How would they be handled?
>
> For example, you can use master/slave and/or prefixing to put a package
> in /opt or /eastern.operations. Where would the etc files go in cases
> like that?  Some sites install multiple copies of some packages,
> for example, unique per-customer installs.

I don't believe any of that stuff actually works.

Frederick