Subject: Re: Handling 3rd party rc scripts
To: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
From: Shannon <shannon@widomaker.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 02/05/2002 22:00:30
On Tue, Feb 05, 2002 at 06:27:54PM -0600, Frederick Bruckman wrote:
> On Wed, 6 Feb 2002, Luke Mewburn wrote:

> That's progess. Now, what is pkgsrc supposed to do? pkgsrc currently
> installs scripts to /usr/pkg/etc/rc.d, and (unevenly) suggests copying
> them to /etc/rc.d, but many people are evidently afraid to do that,
> and so keep on proposing ways to run them directly from
> /usr/pkg/etc/rc.d (which, as you said, is not acceptable as the default).
> Should we just install them into /etc/rc.d, and register them there,
> as Lars suggested?

I'm not yet convinced this is a good idea, or even a safe one.

For one thing, it's nice to have a package rooted in <dir> keep
everything in <dir>.

Second, it's entirely possible to have a package installed more than
once, either with all but one disabled temporarily, or running different
configurations.

I think it would be better to put files in /etc/pkg or /etc/local than
to put them all in /etc/rc.d.

Also, there are options for installing packages in alternate
hierarchies. How would they be handled?

For example, you can use master/slave and/or prefixing to put a package
in /opt or /eastern.operations. Where would the etc files go in cases
like that?  Some sites install multiple copies of some packages,
for example, unique per-customer installs.

--
______________________/ armchairrocketscientistgraffitiexenstentialist