Subject: Re: Handling 3rd party rc scripts
To: Amitai Schlair <schmonz@schmonz.com>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 02/05/2002 20:28:59
On Tue, 5 Feb 2002, Amitai Schlair wrote:

> "Lubomir Sedlacik" <salo@Xtrmntr.org> wrote:
>
> > and what about using existing RCD_SCRIPTS_DIR (which is set by default
> > to /etc/rc.d) and define INSTALL_RCD_SCRIPTS to YES?
>
> Does that tell the package tools the right path to the installed rc.d
> script, so that e.g. removing the package removes the script? If so,
> cool, it sounds exactly right.

Whatever it actually does, that sounds like the right thing to do.

> IIRC, the reason INSTALL_RCD_SCRIPTS defaults to NO is that if someone
> installs a package with an rc.d script and forgets to set the
> appropriate rc.conf variable, it makes noise at boot. If we're going to
> change the default value of INSTALL_RCD_SCRIPTS to YES, then we have to
> account for this. Two ideas:
>
> 1) We print a message saying "Set this or else you'll see noise at boot"
> 2) We automatically set the variable to a safe value (e.g., "NO") and
> print a message saying "To enable, change this to YES".

We could have a file, "/etc/defaults/rc.pkg.conf", that's sourced from
within "/etc/defaults/rc.conf", that's controlled by packages at
install time. The package INSTALL script will just add a foo=NO plus
comment if ^foo doesn't exist, and leave it at deinstall time.

Frederick