Subject: Re: Handling 3rd party rc scripts
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Amitai Schlair <schmonz@schmonz.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 02/05/2002 21:13:30
"Lubomir Sedlacik" <salo@Xtrmntr.org> wrote:

> and what about using existing RCD_SCRIPTS_DIR (which is set by default
> to /etc/rc.d) and define INSTALL_RCD_SCRIPTS to YES?

Does that tell the package tools the right path to the installed rc.d
script, so that e.g. removing the package removes the script? If so,
cool, it sounds exactly right.

IIRC, the reason INSTALL_RCD_SCRIPTS defaults to NO is that if someone
installs a package with an rc.d script and forgets to set the
appropriate rc.conf variable, it makes noise at boot. If we're going to
change the default value of INSTALL_RCD_SCRIPTS to YES, then we have to
account for this. Two ideas:

1) We print a message saying "Set this or else you'll see noise at boot"
2) We automatically set the variable to a safe value (e.g., "NO") and
print a message saying "To enable, change this to YES".

I'd vote for #2 for two reasons: it's much more friendly, and things
still work okay if users don't bother reading it.

Are there any other problems with INSTALL_RCD_SCRIPTS that we need to
address?

- Amitai