Subject: Re: Handling 3rd party rc scripts
To: Luke Mewburn <lukem@wasabisystems.com>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 02/05/2002 18:27:54
On Wed, 6 Feb 2002, Luke Mewburn wrote:

> If you want to look in other locations (e.g, /usr/local/etc/rc.d), add
> 	rc_rcorder_flags="/usr/local/etc/rc.d/*"
> 	rc_shutdown_rcorder_flags="$rc_rcorder_flags"
>
> Thus gaining the flexibility that you require without forcing your
> requirements on other users.

That's progess. Now, what is pkgsrc supposed to do? pkgsrc currently
installs scripts to /usr/pkg/etc/rc.d, and (unevenly) suggests copying
them to /etc/rc.d, but many people are evidently afraid to do that,
and so keep on proposing ways to run them directly from
/usr/pkg/etc/rc.d (which, as you said, is not acceptable as the default).
Should we just install them into /etc/rc.d, and register them there,
as Lars suggested?

Frederick