Subject: Re: Request new category
To: NetBSD Packages Technical Discussion List <tech-pkg@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 02/05/2002 16:27:20
[ On Tuesday, February 5, 2002 at 14:48:02 (+0100), Alistair Crooks wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: Request new category
>
> What precludes Korean users from installing Korean packages if they
> were based in misc, or x11, or textproc, or converters? The only
> reason I can think of could be that they don't know about them.
> I think we're all aware that the current categorisation is not
> perfect, but it's the best that we can come up with right now.
> Until we have a version control system that supports symlinks (and
> it may well be coming), pkglocate is your friend.

Binary packages already come with symlink support to allow their names
to exist simultaneously in multiple "categories".

I don't see why virtual locale-specific categories couldn't be created
which included all of the pkgsrc modules which were supported in a given
locale.  Indeed even virtual sub-categories could be created in the
locale-specific categories.

I agree that even those packages which have been modified/patched in
order to support one or more given locales should be classified in
pkgsrc under the existing more or less English-based category naming
scheme, as good or bad as that may be.

--
								Greg A. Woods