Subject: Re: Request new category
To: Rui-Xiang Guo <rxg@ms25.url.com.tw>
From: Alistair Crooks <agc@pkgsrc.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 02/05/2002 14:48:02
On Tue, Feb 05, 2002 at 09:31:49PM +0800, Rui-Xiang Guo wrote:
> > Please let me make it clear - I am not stopping anyone submitting
> > or committing a package that is related to Korean or any other
> > group or language.  Quite the contrary, I welcome them.
>
> Hmm.., I think this is a chickens/eggs question.
> The less related people use NetBSD, the less related packages.
> The less related packages, the less related people use NetBSD. :)

OK, let's see if I can summarise this thread. You want to see more
Korean packages.  So do we all. You think that to have more Korean
packages, there needs to be a Korean category. Most of the people
who are involved with pkgsrc say that, if there are sufficient
packages, then a category will be created.

What precludes Korean users from installing Korean packages if they
were based in misc, or x11, or textproc, or converters? The only
reason I can think of could be that they don't know about them.
I think we're all aware that the current categorisation is not
perfect, but it's the best that we can come up with right now.
Until we have a version control system that supports symlinks (and
it may well be coming), pkglocate is your friend.

Obviously, I'm missing something here, but I don't know what it is.

> > Over time, when there are enough packages in pkgsrc to warrant a
> > separate category, then one will be created.
>
> Excuse me, how many? :)

We usually judge these things on a case-by-case basis.  This is so
that pkgsrc doesn't get littered by any number of orphaned packages,
just to bump up the numbers so that a category can be created.

Regards,
Alistair